Re: Shared Pool Size (Hard to Explain)

From: Andrew Zitelli <zitelli_at_tus.ssi1.com>
Date: 1996/03/13

John Landers <jcl_at_csustan.edu> wrote:
>I am running a database that has one user doing inserts,deletes,updates
>and selects. There are several triggers and procedures. Currently the
>shared pool size is 9M and we get an ora-4031 saying to increase
>our shared pool size. I can rationalize how one process can need
>more that 9M. I think something else needs to be tuned. But haven't
>stumbled on it. Any ideas or places to search please email response.
>If increasing shared pool is ok then an affirmative would be nice to
>hear. Oracle 7.2.2.4 for OS/2.

There is a known bug in 7.2.2.3 & 7.2.2.4 causing ORA-04031 errors along with other symptoms. Increasing your shared pool and other standard remedies for 4031 errors will only delay the onset of the errors. Patches are available from Oracle, at least for some operating systems. The errors are caused by multiple bugs in Oracle's coalescing of free space. Some bugs are fixed in 7.2.3, the rest in 7.3. I patched 7.2.3 under HP/UX and the errors ceased without increasing shared pool. Received on Wed Mar 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message