Re: Shared Pool Size (Hard to Explain)

From: Jon Finke <finkej_at_ts.its.rpi.edu>
Date: 1996/03/12

>In article <Pine.SUN.3.91.960311144204.16780A-100000_at_reddog.csustan.edu>,
>John Landers (jcl_at_csustan.edu) says...
>!>
>!>I am running a database that has one user doing inserts,deletes,updates
>!>and selects. There are several triggers and procedures. Currently the
>!>shared pool size is 9M and We get an ora-4031 saying to increase
>!>our shared pool size. I can rationalize how one process can need
>!>more that 9M. I think someithing else needs to be tuned. But haven't
>!>stubled on it. Any ideas or places to search please email response.
>!>If increaseing it is ok then an affirmative would be nice to here.
>!>Oracle 7.2.24 for Os/2.
>!>Thanks,
>!>
>!> John Landers
>!> Computer Science Major
>!> CSUS
>!> jcl_at_altair.csustan.edu
>!>

Crank up your Oracle support contract and call them. There was a bug in the AIX version of Oracle (around 7.2.2.3) that resulted in this exact error. Oracle was able to give us a work around in less than 48 hours, and patch that fixed the problem a few days after that.

We were finding applications were SOMETIMES getting that problem, and it seemed to depend on what else was running at the time. Made tracking down the problem a bit trickier at our end. We actually had applications attempting a single insert fail, some of the time with this bug.

--
Jon Finke                           finkej_at_rpi.edu
Senior Network Systems Engineer     http://www.rpi.edu/~finkej