Re: SQL*NET V2 for TCP/IP on MS Windows

From: Sybrand Bakker <Sybrand.Bakker_at_bentley.nl>
Date: 1996/03/12

Zang wrote:

> In article <bo.lu.3.1FF808C0_at_m.cc.utah.edu>, bo.lu_at_m.cc.utah.edu says...
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >Does anybody have the experience in setting up SQL*NET V2 for TCP/IP on
> >windows. I can get it work on Windows NT and but not windows. Here is
 our
> >tnsnames.ora file. We uses Novell Lan Workplace.
> >
> I have SQLNET V2 working on a windows client, but its Windows 3.11. I
> am not positive it is set up completely correct since the connections
> are slow, but it works.
> Hope this helps...
> -Zang

Slow connections are almost always caused by the setting automatic_ipc=on in the sqlnet.ora file. Ipc stands for InterProcess Calls, which means that the client is on the same system as the server. For any PC-network this setting should be off for all clients except one. If you set the trace_level parameter to admin in your sqlnet.ora this fact will show up in your sqlnet.trc output. You can see that sqlnet first tries to connect to the server using the IPC protocol.I believe the delay really is caused by this unsuccessfull attempt.

Hope this helps

Sybrand Bakker
Senior IS Analyst
Bentley Systems Europe
Hoofddorp Received on Tue Mar 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message