Re: does Oracle handle INTERGER types?

From: Dave Ambors <Ambors_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/03/10

Robin Cyrus <76756.3641_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>Does ORACLE handle INTERGER types. I'm going from SQL SERVER to
>ORACLE and I need to know...
>
>Robin Cyrus
>First Interstate Bank
>AZ
>
>--
> F. I. B. of Arizona

Robin,

A few specifics would be helpful. If you define a column with a datatype of INTEGER, it actually becomes a NUMBER(38). In the interest of keeping Oracle platform independent, it chose to do this. As a result, you can store a number in an INTEGER that would be way too big for a C integer. As a result, we banned the use of INTEGER and always use NUMBER(p,s). In this manner, we can more easily map the Oracle datatype to the C datatype.

Regards,

Dave Received on Sun Mar 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message