Tune pl*sql batch

From: Sameer Utrankar <utrankar_at_nyc.pipeline.com>
Date: 1996/03/10

Running pl*sql batch process against 7.2.3. HP Glance Plus indicates Disk is being 100% utilized. So started looking at other ways of improving performance.

Max IO hapens against Redo logs followed by Rollback Segments. Log switch occurs after 4-5 mins (3 redo logs of 20MB each, ie 4 MB/min - Is this normal ?)

Ckpt happens only on log switch (log_checkpoint_interval too high). Alert file is full of following error :

CHECK POINT NOT COMPLETE. CANNOT ALLOCATE NEXT LOG. Does this mean logs are switching too fast ? What's the problem here ? Redo log size or number of logs or both ?

System stat of REDO LOG SPACE REQUETS keeps on growing at a steady pace. Log buffer size is already near 200k. (Is this ok ? Too high ? Can it be increased further ?) How do I speed up log writer ? (Ckpt already runs as a separate process). Something similar to multiple Dbwr (I have 6 running) can there be multiple lgwr ?

Someone suggested the other day that WRITE REQUESTS should be significantly lower than PHYSICAL WRITES in this news group. I am getting 150,000 and 5,000 (ie write batch size of 30 blocks per write req). Is this right ?

Machine is HP 9000/715. DB size 6 GB. No other users on the system when this batch runs. Cpu is not bottleneck (no table scans - verified using tkprof - except for the initial build of hugh sorted recordset cursor which is processed in this batch).

Any suggestions appreciated, Thanks.
All of us can't be heros. There has to be someone to sit by the curb and clap as they go by. Received on Sun Mar 10 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message