Re: Client Logins with Proxy

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/03/08

jennings_at_dca.net (Ed Jennings) wrote:
>I've gone to proxy logins for some applications, but now I can't
>use windows based tools to login to Oracle because they are unable
>to pass the slash as the login id. I've heard that there is a
>windows env variable that I can set to get around this. Does anyone
>know how to solve this problem?

You probably want to look at the USERNAME parameter of ORACLE.INI, discussed in Appendix A of the "SQL*Plus Installation Guide" online help. Assuming you are using SQL*Net you will need to make sure that your target Oracle7 server permits OS-authenticated logons via Net. That's the init.ora parameter REMOTE_OS_AUTHENT.

Before doing that, you might want to think about whether you want your PC users to be able to connect to your server with a userid that is not actually authenticated. A PC user can specify anything they want in ORACLE.INI and as long as it's a valid Oracle userid with the IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY attribute they will be able to connect as that user. This might not be an issue if you trust your users and their PCs are physically secured (with keylock, for example).

HTH. /b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not