Re: Storing Images over 64KB

From: Sunil Mushran <smushran_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/03/07

"David P. Stickney" <stickney_at_kodak.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to insert images into an Oracle Long Raw column from an
>Omnis7.3.2 application. Whenever I try to insert an image that is larger
>than 64K, I receive an Oracle 1401 error (Value to large for column).

>Oracle support has informed me that data for long raw columns must be
>broken into 64K pieces since Oracle uses 64K buffers. This being the
>case, what is the most common practice for storing images larger than 64K
>into an Oracle 7.1.6 database? Also, would this 64K limit also apply to
>retrievals of the image?

>Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

>PS> We're using a Windows 3.11 for Workgroups with SQL*Net 2.1
>for our platform.

For LONG [RAW] data, one does not need to split up the data into 64K blocks. Instead the entire blob needs to be loaded into the memory and inserted in one go. However, when one retrieves a LONG [RAW] data from Oracle, it needs to be retrieved in 64K blocks.

Anycase, all this should be transparent to you the user and should be handled tranparently by the front-end. I am not sure how omnis functions, but if it is one of those GUI developement tools, it should be performing the job transparently.

Also, if you are getting a ORA-1401, it likely will be a bug in the front-end tool.

sm Received on Thu Mar 07 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message