Re: Power Objects: Ye gods it's slow!

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1996/03/07

In article <4hj9js$6g5_at_madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>, Jeffrey J. McWilliams <cd827_at_cleveland.Freenet.Edu> wrote:
>I've got a query screen that queries 26,000 records based on matches in
>1 to 4 fields - and it only takes about 5 seconds for the query to run
>and display the resulting matches in a scrollable list box.
>I'm running a 486DX4-100 with 16MB RAM.
>
>Personal Oracle 7.1.

I posted a bit on this thread a while back, but I've been doing some more, so here is an update. My test machine is a 486 66MHz with 20M of RAM, the workstations that will run the product are all 90MHz Pentiums or better connecting to Sun Solaris Oracle databases. When I posted originally, I didn't see the performance problems noted by the contributors. Since then, I have brought up some OPO projects based on Blaze, and I most definitely do see the sluggishness. Some of these Blaze projects involve very simple forms running against databases with very few records. Moving from running the form to running an application compounds the problems--the performance seems to quickly degenerate to unacceptable. I suspect that this is what is behind Oracle's decision to abandon Blaze in favor of Oracle Lite (as reported in an announcement originating at the S.F. Oracle Developer's Conference). However, moving from Blaze to Oracle for Windows95 on the 486 makes a huge difference. I find the performance to be quite acceptable--at least for these small applications. I do not yet have enough experience in the production environment, but I would expect the results to be even better, since Oracle itself will not be exhausting resources on the client machines. I will post if I discover otherwise.

All in all I think OPO is a pretty good v1 product, and I am very much looking forward to v2.

--
Jack F. Love