Re: SQL*Net Version 1/2 Compatible?

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/03/01

Dan Mindler <dan_at_leis.bellcore.com> wrote:
>Would anyone know if the following is compatible:
>
>SQL*Net client Version 1 (Windows/NT) and SQL*Net server Version 2
>(UNIX).
>
>If they are not compatible, is it possible to run SQL*Net server
>Version 1 and 2 in parallel on the same machine?
>

>Thanks.
>

>Dan
>
>--
>
>Dan Mindler Bellcore
>dan_at_leis.bellcore.com Piscataway, NJ

Dan,

A SQL*Net V1 client cannot connect to a SQL*Net V2 listener. It is possible to run both V1 and V2 listeners on the same server, I have had to do this a number of times in order to support client tools which are not compatible with V2. The oracle executable on the server must be relinked with the object libs for both versions of SQL*Net. /etc/services will need to be modified to include both listeners. Consult your installation guide and SQL*Net version guides for specifics.

hope this helps

regards,
Chuck

Chuck Wolfe                         Phone:  (703)325-3718
Senior Consultant                   E-mail: cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
TELOS Consulting Services
460 Herndon Parkway
Herndon, VA 22070

I don't want the world, I just want your half...