Re: 'HORABLE' BOOK IS A CROCK OF SHIT was: Oracle Book doesn't Print properly

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 1996/03/01

marks_at_sensible.teleord.co.uk (Mark Styles) writes:

>Tony Damon <bfntd_at_aimnet.com> wrote:
>>Marty Boos (w288_at_g0014) wrote:
>>: I thought it was just the version for Solaris and then I installed it
>>: on my 90mhz Pentium at home and guess what it's JUST AS SLOW ON WINDOWS.
>>
>>At least you can get it to run. Most of the time I get a GPF when
>>I try to start it up.

>It is incredibly slow and buggy in Windows, however I have it installed
>on a Unixware server, and it is actually very quick, and seems to be
>quite usable, although I would prefer a command line ability, similar
>to man for quickly checking syntaxes etc.

What drives me absolutely bonkers is the inability to search on an Oracle error message and get the applicable text explanation. Perhaps this has been fixed in later versions but I still can't get it to work as just about any other similar product does.

Also, at last count, I have documentation on various Oracle products in:

  • Oracle Book format
  • MS-Windows Help format
  • Adobe Acrobat format
  • UNIX Man format
  • Text files, etc.

And I'm certain HTML is not far behind....

Just mind boggling.

---
Rich Holowczak         E-Mail: holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu
Rutgers University     http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~holowcza/