Re: Developer 2000 vs PowerBuilder

From: <richu_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/03/01

In article <dbmooreDnJMwt.IM7_at_netcom.com> dbmoore_at_netcom.com (Dennis Moore) writes:
>From: dbmoore_at_netcom.com (Dennis Moore)
>Subject: Re: Developer 2000 vs PowerBuilder
>Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 15:26:53 GMT

>Recent surveys by companies like Strategic Focus, Oracle itself, and others
>show that Developer/2000 is the most used tool by Oracle database customers --
>more than 3 times as many as PowerBuilder. PowerBuilder revenues are flat,
>so the customer base is not growing quickly. In the most recent quarter
>reported, Sybase claimed about a 15% growth rate for PowerBuilder, and Oracle
>claimed about a 160% growth rate for Developer/2000 on desktop platforms.

The above comment came from an ORACLE employee..

I go by the CLASSIFIED SURVEY..What it tells me is that POWERBUILDER is more prolific.. from what my friends tell me about powerbuilder..it may be faster than Forms 4.5 but alot of GPFs and bugs are encountered in POWERBUILDER development. I work w/ DESIGNER 2000 myself and think nothing integrates w/ an ORACLE back-end than DESIGNER 2000 esp FORMS 4.5. However, I DO wish that FORMS was a little bit less RESOURCE HUNGRY..for example, for notebook access, theres no way our comp. would use ram hungry FORMS.. I DO like FORMS 4.5 tho, But I find REPORTS 2.5 to be VERY SLUGGISH...

So there it is,..for an ORACLE back-end w/ little regard for resources, DESIGNER 2000 is yer man. If you are conscious bout resources and have other crazy worries..I have also looked into DELPHI,...but I REALLY am looking for a REPORTS 2.5 Alternative...AND I DONT WANA DO SQR... Received on Fri Mar 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message