Q: Using Oracle on a TCP/IP Network

From: Mike Emeigh <emeighm_at_bah.com>
Date: 1996/02/29

I'm not an Oracle *pro*, so I thought I'd solicit some advice from some people who are :)

We've got an Oracle 7.1.6 database server residing on a SParc20 running Solaris 2.5, and we're trying to be able to access it across our internal TCP/IP network. I have SQL*Net V2 installed on both the client machines and the server machine, as well as the TCP/IP adapter.

How do I set up the TNSNAMES.ORA and LISTENER.ORA files to recognize the IP address of the Oracle server? Does it work to set HOST=nnn.nn.nnn.nnn? The examples I've seen in the documentation use named hosts, but there's no explanation of how those names are mapped to IP addresses.

We're also looking at doing something similar in a Windows NT environment, so I'd also like to know what (if anything) we'd have to do differently there.

Please copy me via E-mail on any reply you post to the newsgroup, as my provider sometimes takes a couple of days to receive posts. TIA for any assistance.

Mike Emeigh
emeighm_at_bah.com Received on Thu Feb 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message