Re: Client Side Cache ?? (was Re: How to limit # of rows ..)

From: Dinesh Gulati <gulati_dinesh_at_jpmorgan.com>
Date: 1996/02/28

Jim Holt wrote:

> In article <3131EFFA.75C0_at_leadingbits.via.at>, Dieter Oberkofler
> <dtr_at_leadingbits.via.at> wrote:
>
> > Jason Lincoln wrote:

 <snip>

> I am new to SQL Server, and this thread has me a little confused.
>
> Why should the number of rows returned be an issue ? Is this a memory
> issue on the client ? Isn't this type of problem handled by something
> like a cursor ?
>
> Just curious...
> -jh

Let us say your query resulted in a set of 1000s of records. In client-server environment, SQL server would return all the resulting rows to the client. You wanted to take this thing at the client side and build a popup. The user might just pick the item on the first page and be done with it. So in this case, no need to bring all the rows back. Obviously when the user pressed say <PgDn> you want to bring over the next page worth of rows....Makes sense...I know I went through this some time back, and didn't quite make full sense until I developed a front end.---DG Received on Wed Feb 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message