Re: Copying Username & Passwords from one instance to another?

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: 1996/02/28

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Mark Bluemel wrote:
> : you_at_somehost.somedomain (Your Name) wrote:
> : >Is there a way to copy a username and password from one instance to
> : >another and retain the same password? I need to migrate users from an old
>
> And Jim (Kyung-Jin) Yoo (JIM.YOO_at_CRHA-HEALTH.AB.CA) wrote:
> : Try exporting and importing tablename USER$ in the sys schema..
>
> Alternatively, you can set a user's password using the encrypted value, read
> from USER$. I haven't got the details to hand, but there is an option to the
> IDENTIFIED BY clause, something like "LITERAL" - examine the SQL.BSQ file

When you do an export of the entire database (with or without data), the users are also exported. If you do it without exporting the data, then you can edit the resulting file to get the list of CREATE USER statements that import will use.

BTW, the format is:

  CREATE USER username IDENTIFIED BY VALUE "encryptedpasswordvalue";

I haven't tried running the editted export script as internal but I do know that import will correctly import the users to a new instance.

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Wed Feb 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message