Re: Developer 2000 vs PowerBuilder

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1996/02/28

In article <4ggmo2$oji_at_newsbf02.news.aol.com>, MRekapalli <mrekapalli_at_aol.com> wrote:
> Can some one tell me which front end (Developer 2000 or PowerBuilder)
>is more popular with Oracle. I do see lot of job advertisements with
>PowerBuilder/Oracle combination. I thought after the release of Forms
>4.5, the trend will be towards Developer 2000. If possible, please let me
>know what are the pros and cons of using these front ends with Oracle.

I suspect that no one really has reliable numbers on what you are asking. Oracle products such as Forms, Reports and the other building blocks of what is called Developer 2000 have always been very popular with Oracle shops building departmental applications. They are heavily optimized for working well with the database, and many things that need to be done with code in other products are pre-built in Developer 2000. In addition, Developer 2000 has been more "platform friendly" than many competing products. This doesn't necessarily mean that one can depend on being able to bring up identical Windows, Mac, X and Motif products with ease, but it's at least conceivable. However, these products have always been resource hogs, and are fairly difficult to maintain.

Other products, such as VB, Delphi, OPO, and Powerbuilder are not so tightly integrated into the Oracle engine, and therefore need code, classes or libraries which would not be necessary if using Developer 2000. But if you want some assurance that the application will be able to work against non-Oracle data sources, if you simply don't want to put all your eggs in the Oracle basket, or if you want a product that you have the expertise to maintain in some fashion which is superior to what is available with Developer 2000, then some of these other environments have their attractions.

--
Jack F. Love