Re: How to limit ODBC Acess?

From: <afischer_at_ea.com>
Date: 1996/02/27

billk88_at_ix.netcom.com(BILL KIENZLE) wrote:
>Does anyone know of an ODBC "firewall"?
>At my site, it seems that a user with Oracle access can install, for
>instance, Microsoft Access with an Oracle ODBC driver to get at the
>database. We have special security built in to our application. A user
>could get around this security with a program like Access. This would
>be a problem.
>
>Is there a way to lock out unwarranted ODBC access to Oracele?
>TIA
>Bill

Hiya,

I encountered a similar problem awhile ago and we approached it by creating limited-access database roles. Each user was granted a "select only" role by default, and then within our application (Forms-based), we did a "set_role" to set the appropriate level of permissions. Of course, in our case, we didn't care about who extracted data from our db, but were more concerned with preventing them from updating our data through their own front-end. If there isn't an ODBC "firewall", this approach may work for you.

Regards,
Audrey Fischer Received on Tue Feb 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message