Re: RAID Performance Issue with Oracle

From: Michael E Willett <mew_at_world.std.com>
Date: 1996/02/26

Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com> writes:

>pmaruse_at_hargray.com (Peter Marusek) wrote:
>>I was told in Oracle school that RAID devices were not suitable for
>>Oracle databases. Can anyone quantify the performance issues here?
>>thanx
>>Peter Marusek
>>

>Peter,

>The suitability of various RAID levels for Oracle database applications
>depends a great deal on the nature of the application. RAID5 provides
>very good performance for read-mostly applications (DSS or data
>warehousing) which depend on the capability to service multiple
>independent queries and large sequential reads. However, RAID5 exacts a
>very heavy performance in on-line and batch transaction processing
>environments and other mixed read/write environments (for such
>environments, RAID1 may be a better choice).

>There are numerous articles/papers regarding performance/tuning of RAID
>storage devices under various scenarios. There was recently a good,
>concise non-technical article in SunWorld Online (http://www.sun.com)
>which discussed some of the strong and weak points of some of the more
>widely used RAID levels. There are also numerous papers on RAID device
>performance/tuning available by anonymous ftp. A good place to start
>would be: ftp.cs.berkeley.edu.

>hope this helps.

>regards,
>Chuck

>--
>Chuck Wolfe Phone: (703)325-3718
>Senior Consultant E-mail: cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
>TELOS Consulting Services
>460 Herndon Parkway
>Herndon, VA 22070

>I don't want the world, I just want your half...

See Feb 26 full page Computerworld review of RAID 7 performance which starts, "Every user interviewed was ecstatic about RAID 7's performance...has architectural characteristics that make it scream." Performance grades: A, A+, A, A

Mike W., Storage Computer, http://www.storage.com/ Received on Mon Feb 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message