Oracle Sales

From: <nickjost_at_mammoth.valleynet.com>
Date: 1996/02/26

I am currently having some potential problems with Oracles sales team and I would like to find out if I am being paranoid or resonably conserned. My company is in the process of making a database conversion. We are evaluating a few database companies like Oracle and Sybase to see which product will work for us. Now here is the problem:

Oracle after sounding really enthused bounced us to one of thier "buisness partners"/"integrators" with little explanation. This integrator bombed his presentation (some of the fault in this goes to me the meeting was set up poorly, but he just tried to sell OLAP and not Oracle too hard). He then refered me back to Oracle who sent me to another integrator.

We will be far from Oracle's biggest client but we are expecting to spend somewhere between $150,000 and $250,000 on data-base products and right now I'm conserned about the service.

So here is what I would like to know. At the company I had previously worked at we dealt directly with Oracle (and thier purchasing power is less than at the company I currently work with) so why is it normal now for Oracle to pass it's customers off to other companies and why? The only possible reason I can think of that I have been moved around so much is that my ex-manager filled my salesman's (we share the same one) with ideas about my seriousness. This would be unfortunate, but not to unterribly like him.

Any help appreciated,

Nick Jost
Systems Analyst
nickjost_at_valleynet.com Received on Mon Feb 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message