Oracle v7 -- raw vs. block mode

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_phcs.phcs.com>
Date: 1996/02/26

I am trying to locate specific information about running the Oracle 7.1.4 dbms engine on a UNIX box (specifically AIX) that deals with the issue of configuring the disks as raw or block devices.

Specifically, what is the precise role of the OS in either configuration? What are the pros and cons (wrt performance, backup/recovery, etc)? What is the impact on the UNIX kernel? What must I worry about in either configuration?

Any pointers on where I can get specific info. would be much appreciated.

Vincent Ventrone
Private Healthcare Systems
vav_at_phcs.com Received on Mon Feb 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message