Re: DBA-Sys admin Relationship - Need help to define it

From: <pallison_at_ppg.com>
Date: 1996/02/23

> badri_at_cc.gatech.edu (badri) writes:
> Hi:
> 1. A few weeks ago, I (as the DBA) was denied root access. I
> gather from netters that this is the norm.

I can't tell you whats good or bad for your shop but I can tell you what I've seen.

First of all, I have never been in a shop where the DBA's were given Unix root privalege. The shop I am in right now seems to have the best arrangement. The sysadmins install the oracle software (as well as all other software.) Since they are the ones responsible for correcting box - related problems, giving anyone else root would make their jobs harder. The sysadmins also run scripts to create our standard directory structure for the database. We the DBAs create the database an perform all database functions. Root is not required for any of this.

If you have questions about where specific responsabilities fall or how certain functions are performed, send me an e-mail and I'll be glad to give detail.

Paul T. Allison
DBA - PPG Industries
pallison_at_ppg.com Received on Fri Feb 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message