Re: Opinions: Where to store meta-data

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/02/23

Richard Ramirez <ou79138_at_deere.com> wrote:

>chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:
>>Does anyone have any opinions on where to store an application's meta
>>data? Should it be owned by the same user as the application's tables
>>or should it be kept separate?

>I vote for a separate area (i.e. owner). One reason is that you may want
>to have separate test and production data.

Thanks. That what I thought I'd end up doing. Being new to Oracle though, I wasn't sure if this was a common practice or not.

Not only will we have separate production and test data, but we have separate production schemas of the same application (different data). I'd like to be able to put my production stored procedures in a single area so that all production schemas can reference the same code. Is there an easy way to do this? I don't think I really want to put it in one of the application schemas since it's not really "owned" by any of them. It seems like it should go under yet another separate user. Does this sound right to you?

If I do that, then there's the issue of needing to have copies of the tables in the same user as the stored procedures if I want them to compile without errors. Otherwise I need to hard code the procedures with owner prefixes on all the tables and I certainly don't want to do that! The whole point here is to have one set of procedures that runs on any of the applications.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

--
Chuck Hamilton
chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.