Re: Copying Username & Passwords from one instance to another?

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/02/22

you_at_somehost.somedomain (Your Name) wrote:

>Is there a way to copy a username and password from one instance to
>another and retain the same password? I need to migrate users from an old
>instance to a new one and I would like all users to retain their old
>passwords. Thanks in advance.

You can log into the old instance and select:

select 'create user ' || username || ' identified by values ''' || password || ''';' from sys.dba_users;

The hashed password can be moved from database to database using this method (this is how export does it).

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government

opinions and statements are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation. Received on Thu Feb 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message