Re: Power Objects - modifying translation method at runtime

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/02/22

In article <4gbt2d$b11_at_hades.datashopper.dk> you write:
>A couple of days ago I read, and used, an advise about using the
>postchange method for one field to modify the translation method for another.
>
>I have got a repeater panel. I contains a project# and a subproject#, both
>popUpLists. I want the list of values (translation) of the subproject#'s
>to be limited by project#.
>
>This is the he code that I have in the PostChange method of popProjekt

1>        inherited.PostChange
2>        IF nvl(self.value, "NULL") = "NULL" THEN
3>                popSubProject.Translation = ""
4>        ELSE
5>                popSubProject.Translation = "=select txt, subproject#
6>                                              from projects
7>                                              where project# = " & self.value
8>        END IF

>The IF-NULL is to control scrolling to a new row.
>This construction only works if there is one row in the repeater.
>If I use the popUpList in the second row, the selected item is not transferred
>to the repeater.
>Also the row is locked (lock icon is showed), and I get a lot of errors like
>"could not delete existing row", "error initializing system method" ...
>

>Has anybody encountered similar problems ??

The errors sound like they are generated by syntax/semantic errors that OPO doesn't tell you about...

I don't mean to sound picky, but is that the exact code?

Suggestions:

1> Inherited.PostChange()
2> IF IsNull( Self.Value ) THEN

5>   popSubProject.Translation = "=select txt, subproject#" & &
6>                               " from projects" & &
7>                              " where project# = " & cstr( Self.Value )

Assuming that project# is actually a "number" and not a string (otherwise consider changing the name!-). If it is a string then forget the cstr conversion.

Also, I'm not sure off hand if having absolutely no defined datasource for a popup is valid. You might have to set it to a valid translation returning NULL such as "select 'n/a',NULL from dual"

Peter

--
Peter Yamamoto                     CS   Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x3299
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488