Re: Oracle and the WWW

From: Ian Sparkes <isparkes_at_mphx.com>
Date: 1996/02/21

Jane Barry wrote:

> I received a copy of Oracle Designer/2000 WebServer Generator Technical
> Overview published Feb, 1996 - and it looks really good.
> Without knowing anything about your setup I would say that you are
> looking at a rewrite, especially if you are still using a v6 db.
> If you are considering the case solution to generate your www system,
> remember that there is a learning curve for case and that there is a lot
> of up front work before you see any results and then its just about done.
> At least thats the way I found case applications work.
>
> Jane Barry
> jbarry_at_porthole.entnet.nf.ca
>
> Thomas Dunbar (tdunbar_at_gserver.grads.vt.edu)
> wrote: : Barbara Ann Barman wrote:
> : >
> : > I am interested in experiences developing an Intranet WWW front-end for
> : > an Oracle Database. The database is complex (22 forms and many triggers
> : > and stored procedures). I am interesting in hearing about people's

> : with oracle websystem, you will be able to use your tables, stored procedures and
> : triggers. forms will have to be rewritten and that will probably
> : cause some changes in triggers and procs.

> : > experiences in projects of this type, and what WWW GUI builder tools are

> : right now nothing avail, maybe soon. but even then it would just be
> : a convenient starting place. original forms3 development
> : required serious analysis and programming; moving app the the WWW isnt
> : a magic bullet..a similar amount of work is involved.
> : however,
> : 1) the work involves familiar tools (ie pl/sql)..if you use Oracle
> : webserver anyway
> : 2) once done you will have a cross-platform application that can
> : rapidly evolve.
> :
> : thomas

> : > recommended. In particular, since the forms are already built in Oracle
> : > Forms 3.0, can the tools do a default conversion to a WWW GUI, to be then
> : > tested and modified as necessary, or does the WWW GUI need to be built
> : > from scratch.

> : --
> : Thomas Dunbar 540 231-3938 (fax 3714) http://diads.com/

I'd be REAL careful if anyone is planning to replace forms (any version) with a WEB application. We have Webserver running and are very impressed so far. It will I think make an excellent way od distributing data (re: reports) to end users and for carefully selected (and rare) screens be a modethod of updating the database BUT ... there is an immense amount of both productivy and reliability built into the Oracle Forms tools.

If you were to try to develop use the web rather than forms (which seems to be the drift of this discussion), I'd make sure you fully understand all the "behind the scenes" work 4.5 does before replacing it. Received on Wed Feb 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message