Re: Challenge: The Best Database Program?

From: Gerald Ward <exuward_at_exu.ericsson.se>
Date: 1996/02/21

Edward E. Lazor wrote:

> I dunno if I'm opening up a can of worms or what but I figured I'd go
> for it anyways...
>
> which do you guys feel is the best database program and why?

The only ones that realy deserve mentioning are Oracle and Sybase. Implementing large/open systems in the others is impossible. (I'm referring to the PC db's this message was posted to.) Larger DB systems are pretty much a commodity. It is there nature to leapfrog eachother and when one becomes better in some respect, the other will catch up. With that said here is my opinion on your question...

No input on Informix, ObjectStore, or any of the OODBs.

I would say Oracle is the fastest and provides the most features (read consistent image, etc.) Traditionally it has supported much larger quantities of data than Sybase. The largest I know of is the 3 terabyte system at Fidelity Investments. It has a rich set of tools for developing database systems (Forms, CASE, etc.). It doesn't integrate well with your own programming languages however, C and C++. You should buy a 3rd party tool for this.

Sybase has a much better liason into programming languages. The OpenClient toolkit blows away Oracle's OCI calls. If you are architecting systems with C and C++, especially for real time or scientific applications, Sybase is probably better. If you are doing applications for business, Sybase is still good, but go with a 3rd party toolset for GUI, reports and such. APT forms is the ugliest piece of software I have ever seen.

For what it's worth,

Jerry. Received on Wed Feb 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message