Oracle for NT problems

From: Matthew Patton <patton_at_>
Date: 1996/02/20

Our office runs 2 Unix boxes and Oracle but one of our remote sites wishes to use the NT product. This NT box came with a RAID array which we really despise especially in light of the limitations of NT Oracle. If I am wrong about the following statements, please let me know and how to go about solving the problem.

  1. NT oracle insists on installing all data structures, to include the NT binaries, indexes, dbms files, control files, the whole nine yards under X:\ORANT.
  2. There is no way to facilitate 'mount points' under NT.

While having the actual database data stored on the RAID box is quite acceptable, we forsee significant management and performance inefficiencies with the indexes and the archive logs hogging that same resource.

Much experimentation with our Unix boxes has showed that for speed and admin ease, indexes should be on their own drive (or two if more space is needed), and log files should also be relegated to their own disk, the better to utilize the 'multitasking'  of the scsi bus.

Surely there are NT oracle users out there who have dealt with this problem? Netware shops also suffer from the same limitations I believe. Our inquiries to Oracle support have been less than useful. They seem amazed that one would want to distribute disk I/O across many separate drives. (huh?)

We'd like nothing more than to tell our customer to stuff NT on the trash pile where it belongs but that will never happen. We'd also like to use the GUI based admin tools for both Unix and NT but especially in the case of the latter, they are apparently quite braindead. SqlDBA32.exe does seem to work but it has several annoying bugs.

Your collective help/advise greatly appreciated. Received on Tue Feb 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message