Re: Alternative to Synonyms that is faster?

From: Wilfred van der Deijl <W.van.der.Deijl_at_inter.nl.net>
Date: 1996/02/20

Paul Collins <76004.2053_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>By the way it is my opinion that all programming should
>use the schema.tablename notation. If you want to cut down the
>keystrokes then just alias the table name in the from clause with
>a single letter. This will make your code maintenance much easier
>for future programmers.

This is one way to do it. But we use several owners for a test system, a database system, a previous version, etc. This way changing all the synonyms for one user (with just one script) will make this user to user the test or the production system.

I know you'll probably tell us to create separate databases for the different systems. But we just do not have abig enough server (memory and diskspace) to create several databases.

We found a solution that saves a lot of memory and diskspace, but it is absolutely necesary that users to not use the schema.name notation as this will bypass any synonyms we create.

Bye,
Wilfred
The Netherlands

E-mail : W.van.der.Deijl_at_inter.nl.net Homepage: http://www.inter.nl.net/users/W.van.der.Deijl

          (including the MicroProse Grand Prix II FAQ!) Received on Tue Feb 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message