Re: rules,procedures,events

From: PKelley772 <pkelley772_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/02/19

 Joseph Snider <jsnider_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote on 18feb

>I have a question about what is the equivalent feature(s) in ORACLE.
>In Ingres, I currently use "rules" on tables when an update,delete,
>insert occurs, which calls a "procedure" which is code that performs
>a function, and one of the functions could be to raise an "event"
>which a background program can wait for and start processing requests.
>This set of features in Ingres is called knowledge management. What are
>the equivalent features in Oracle?

In Oracle, you can attach programs called triggers to your tables. Triggers are associated with updates, inserts, and/or deletes. Triggers can call other programs called stored procedures. Triggers and stored procedures can send messages to background processes via Oracle named pipes. Oracle alerts are another way to perform interprocess communication. There's a lot more to the subject, of course, but this should give you a start on terminology. Speaking of terminology, I don't know of a corresponding term for "knowledge management" as you use it above.

Paul Received on Mon Feb 19 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message