Re: ORACLE Performance

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/02/18

janet barry <jbarry_at_cycor.ca> wrote:
>We are upgrading out current 20 user ORACLE Financials system running
>on SCO UNIX ODT 3.4.2. Our current server is a Compaq Proliant with dual
>486DX50 processors and 192MB Ram. We plan on adding the Compaq Smart
>Array controller with seven 1GB Drives using RAID5.
>Is anyone curently using this configuration?? I am courious about the
>speed improvment for using a RAID. Would it be better to spend the
>budget on more RAM?? Currently our database queries are taking too
>long and Finapps performance is very slow.
>

>Ken Edwards
>kedwards_at_cycor.ca

Using RAID level 5 (disk striping) you will most likely achieve a noticeable slowdown in database read/write performance. This will become even more noticeable if you have several active index and data tablespaces residing on the same storage array. You may want to consider other RAID levels or even simple disk mirroring as an alternative.

When running Oracle, more RAM is always desirable. You should definitely purchase more RAM and then increase the size of your SGA accordingly to improve database read/write performance.

regards,
Chuck

Chuck Wolfe
Senior Consultant
TELOS Consulting Services
cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com

I don't want the world, I just want your half...