Re: smsget: shmat error when trying to attach sga

From: William <whuang_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1996/02/18

Deepak,

I've seen this type of an error on both HP-UX and SCO/Unix. Usually it means that SQLPlus could not start properly due to a permission problem. Check your $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory and make sure that the permissions are set correctly. The permissions for the ORACLE file should look something like RWSR-SR-X as well as for a few other files. I'm not at the office right now, so I can't give you exact details on which files or permissions. Usually if the permissions get set correctly you can log in right away without bouncing (starting up and shutting down) the database. Before you do a CHMOD on the files, log into your server as the 'oracle' account under SunOS (whichever account you installed the Oracle RDBMS as) and see if SQLPlus will run. IF SQLPlus runs properly, then all you have to do is correct the permissions. If SQLPlus has worked in the past, check your backup tapes and confirm the permissions for the files in this directory. Someone probably just did a CHMOD -R. . .

Good luck.

-William / mailto:whuang_at_earthlink.net