Re: DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE not working on Oracle 7.1.6.2.0

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <ellebuk_at_vip.cybercity.dk>
Date: 1996/02/18

Robert Kohlhase wrote:

> DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE doesn't seem to do anything at all. Is this a bug or is
> there some trick to it I'm missing? Is there a workaround?
> We need to be able to use it inside of a packaged procedure which will be
> called from a program interface.
>
> We're running Oracle7 Server Release 7.1.6.2.0 - Production Release With the
> distributed, replication and parallel query options and PL/SQL Release
> 2.1.6.2.0 - Production.
>
> Here's some sample output from the simplest case scenario attempt:
>
> SQL> begin
> 2 DBMS_OUTPUT.ENABLE;
> 3 end;
> 4 /
>
> PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
>
> SQL> sho serverout
> serveroutput OFF
> SQL> exec DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('hello world');
>
> PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
>
> SQL> (no text is output)
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Robert Kohlhase, rkohlhas_at_well.com

Try

SQL> set serveroutput on
SQL> exec DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('hello world');

instead.

Cheers,

Finn

 Finn Ellebaek Nielsen                                 ellebuk_at_vip.cybercity.dk
 Senior Consultant                                              +45 33 25 34 50
 "Divers do it deeper"                      "Life is a beach and then you dive"