Re: Oracle with Netware

From: Juergen Schiewe <schiewe_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1996/02/17

In message <ericth-0902960943590001_at_204.19.33.128> - ericth_at_montrealnet.ca (Eri c Therrien) writes:
:>
:>I would like to know what kind of performance to expect from a Oracle
:>database used with Netware, and also what recommendation on hardware and
:>software you would suggest.

We are running Oracle 7.1.4 on Netware 3.12 with a 486DX33 w/ 32 MB as our development system. 5-10 connections. One of our customers uses Oracle 6.0.34 on Netware 3.12 on a Compaq SystemPro/XL 486DX40 with 32MB and has 20 connections with a tour operator reservation system and no complaints about performance.

Oracle for Netware is stable and fast. Adding memory is better than using a faster CPU. Do *never* use this machine as a normal file server. Netware uses cooperative multitasking. There are some cases where Oracle does not release the CPU so that normal file access is blocked.

The only disadvantage I see is that it is hard to move applications onto the server. Netware is no app-server although there is an OCI-Interface for Netware. I would not recommend using it. If you plan to have e.g. batches or long running jobs on the server you may be better of with other Oracle Workgroup Servers.

And the last problem of Netware: Novell and their commitment to products and long term strategie. You may open the morning paper and read that they sold Netware to M$ or someone else.

Hope that helps
 Juergen Schiewe Received on Sat Feb 17 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message