Re: problem with SQL*Loader

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/02/17

Gene Gurevich <geneg_at_umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi all! I am using SQL*Loader 7.1.4 to load the data into ORACLE
>tables. It seems to me that SQL*Loader translates blanks into nulls while
>TIA
In order to load all-blank CHAR fields as blanks those fields must be enclosed within delimiters. Otherwise such fields are loaded as null. Blank DATE and numeric fields cause the record to be rejected. In order to load those fields as null it is necessary to use the NULLIF BLANKS clause.

You should be cautious about storing blank fields as blanks, as this generates the same amount of storage overhead as if those fields contained any other alphanumeric characters. Also, you shouldn't use blanks to indicate (or test for) absence of value in a field. That's what nulls are for.

regards,
Chuck

Chuck Wolfe
Senior Consultant
TELOS Consulting Services
cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com

I don't want the world, I just want your half...