Re: SQL*Plus pads numeric data in query result

From: Sybrand Bakker <Sybrand.Bakker_at_bentley.nl>
Date: 1996/02/15

Bob Blizard wrote:

> I am trying to get a select in SQL*Plus (3.1.x) to produce a flat file
> suitable for load using sqlload. The problem I am having is that no
> matter what I try, I seem to get 4 spaces padding the left side of my
> numeric data. I have tried most everything (except the right thing, of
> course):
>
> Bob Blizard rblizard_at_cmcsys.com | All these worthwhile
> CMC Systems | opinions are mine, and
> 175 Littleton Rd Westford, MA 01886 | not necessarily CMC's...
> Ph (508) 392-1300 Fax (508) 392-1303 |
> "If you want to park in the first row of life,
> go there first to look."

Bob,

This is an age-old 'feature' of SQL*Plus. The only way to solve it is to put an ltrim around the columns you don't want to be padded. You may want to get an response of Oracle though also, because as far as I know they don't consider this a bug.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior IS Analyst
Bentley Systems Europe
Sybrand.Bakker_at_Bentley.nl Received on Thu Feb 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message