Re: Winsock blocking hook problems.

From: Richard Bramante <rdb_at_ftp.com>
Date: 1996/02/15

In article <4fsu0g$dhe_at_reader2.ix.netcom.com>,

   chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) wrote:
>rdb_at_ftp.com (Richard Bramante) wrote:
>
>>For the 32-bit OS, multitasking is preemptive and blocking is "real". You
 can
>>use a separate thread for a blocking recv() or whatever blocking call
>>you're making without it grinding your system to a halt.

>>Hence, there is no real need for the defaultblocking hook with a 32-bit
>>OS. You still have the option of installing your own if you want with the
>>WSASetBlockingHook() if you want, but it is not necessary because of the
 other
>>options available.

>>--rich
>
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a blocking hook function
>unnecessary in any versions of Windows (3.1, NT or 95) if you simply
>use asynch. sockets?

Correct. If you don't utilize any blocking calls, (i.e. use WSAAsyncSelect() exclusively) then the defaultblockinghook never gets invoked and it is a moot issue.

The fun only begins if you decide to use blocking calls under non-preemptive OS's.

Regards,

Richard Bramante
FTP Software Received on Thu Feb 15 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message