Re: Oracle WebSystem with 1000's of directories?

From: Thomas J Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/02/14

The web server reads all mapped virtual directories upon startup. It reads all filenames in each directory and caches them. The more directories present, the longer it takes.

I ran into the same sort of issue. I have a subdirectory tree with hundreds/thousands of subdirectories, each on contains some documentation. Instead of putting this in the web server dirctory tree, i set up a unix account to hold the documentation (say for example, the unix account document). I configured the web server to allow users to have html area's (public_html) and to look for index.html in their public_html area's for default pages.

Then, you would
http://your_host_name/~document/index.html

Where before you might have put:
http://your_hostname/document/index.html

You remove the mapping for /document from your web server and don't map the ~document at all.

User areas are scanned dynamically at runtime, not at startup. Mapped virtual directories are scanned one during start and never read again. Your startup time will be unaffected by the number of directories in ~document/public_html.

Hope this helps.

tjambu_at_falcon.telecom.com.au (Tony Jambu 041 985 2628) wrote:

>To anyone,
>
>Can someone help me out here? I am using the OWS with a listener that has for
>one of its virtual directory pointing to a physical directory which in turn has
>1700 directories below it.
>
>Problem: It takes over 9 minutes to start the listener. Without the directory
>listed, it takes less than 1 sec to start it.
>
>Why does it take so long to start up. I know it is scaning the directory as i
>can hear the disk flying away. Note, I have not turned on any of the caching
>yet. Does it really need to read the whole directory structure? If so, any
>suggestion on how I can reduce the reload/start time?
>
>ta
>tony
>

>--
> _____ ________ / ___|Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
> /_ _ /_ __ / |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)
> /(_)/ )(_/ \_/(///(/_)/_( |CIS: 100250.2003_at_compuserve.com FAX:+61-3-94163559
> \_______/ |EMAIL:TJambu_at_wizard.com.au PHONE:+61-3-94122905

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government Received on Wed Feb 14 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message