Re: Oracle and the WWW

From: Tommy Wareing <p0070621_at_brookes.ac.uk>
Date: 1996/02/14

In article <4fqk0t$c6b_at_news.res.ray.com>, Barbara Ann Barman says...

>I am interested in experiences developing an Intranet WWW front-end for
>an Oracle Database. The database is complex (22 forms and many triggers
>and stored procedures). I am interesting in hearing about people's
>experiences in projects of this type, and what WWW GUI builder tools are
>recommended. In particular, since the forms are already built in Oracle
>Forms 3.0, can the tools do a default conversion to a WWW GUI, to be then
>tested and modified as necessary, or does the WWW GUI need to be built
>from scratch.

My mailer was unable to send a reply to barbara_a_barman_at_ccmail.res.ray.com so I'm posting (this may mean that I've posted twice. Sorry)

The code required for a WWW form is definately NOT the same as that required for an Oracle form. Using Oracle's WebServer, you write PL/SQL that outputs HTML representing a query form. The fields are then sent back to a PL/SQL procedure which outputs the HTML representing the result.

There was mention of a CASE generator the would write the PL/SQL for you, but it was supposed to go into Beta around Christmas, and I haven't anything about the Beta testing :(

--
/  Tommy Wareing          \ /  I've been looking for an original sin,  \