Dynamic SQL

From: Derek Lavine <derekl_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: 1996/02/13

Hi,

I'm writing stuff in C++ and am using dynamic SQL to access an RDB database and am wondering.

Does anyone out there know if using RDB SQL (6.2 or something around that version, I think) you can

  1. Perform singleton selects using dynamic SQL I don't want to have to use a cursor. As overhead is to great, the filter will change with alomst every lookup and the cursor would have to be droped and re-attached for each select
  2. Can "delete where current cursor of" be used with dynamic SQL and if so how.
  3. Can a transaction be started using dynamic SQL. I would like to be able to build the 'reserving' list at run time, and then prepare (compile) this statement and then run it thus reserving the required tables for the specified transaction type eg reserve tbl1 for trans_type reserve tbl2 for trans_type

where tbl names and trans_type's are not known until run time.

4. Do you know any god RDB SQL books and if so for what versions of SQL

Many thanks if you can help with any of the above.

Derek Received on Tue Feb 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message