Re: HELP! CREATING DATABASE

From: Richard W. Harris <rharris_at_ties.org>
Date: 1996/02/13

In article <4fnkk3$bsm_at_usafa2.usafa.af.mil>,

   Jeffrey \"Bob\" Meyers <meyersj> wrote:
>I was able to install Oracle properly on our SunOs 4.1.3 system, up to and
>including running the root.sh. I later ran into some problems and had to
>de-install it. Now when I go to perform a new installation with a database
>creation using the same name I did before, the CREATE DATABASE operation
 fails
>about an hour and a half into the installation. It would seem that something
>out in our system is still remembering the old name of the database and won't
>let me create a new one by that name. If you know what is causing this
 failure
>on database creation, please let me know.

It may be something really basic. Go into the directory you originally installed it in and blow the entire contents away. For example, if you created a /oracle and installed it there, then cd into /oracle and do a rm -r *.

Nuke the site from orbit; it's the only way to be sure :-)

The installation routine is probably finding the old database files in the original location. Often when you de-install a product, the data files stay behind. It can't create the new database if the old files are still there.

Hopefully that is your problem.

Good luck,

  • Rick

Richard Harris - Database Administrator, Lycos, Inc. E-Mail: rharris_at_ties.org HTML: http://www.city-net.com/~rharris

         rharris_at_lycos.com Received on Tue Feb 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message