Re: Q: ROWNUM in Forms 4.0 ?

From: Helge Petersen <petersen_at_com1.dwhl.de>
Date: 1996/02/13

Clive Bostock <clive_at_shimmer.demon.co.uk> writes:

>I don't think this will work. The only way that I can think of which
>would work is by coding all the SQL/DML for the block explicitly. You
>would need to include ROWNUM the select, and omit it in INSERTS/UPDATES.

>Unless of course there is some clever feature in Forms 4 that can say
>don't treat this field as a base table field for INSERTS/UPDATES (which
>I doubt).

>The problem is that if you use a POST-QUERY trigger to get the ROWNUM
>for a given row, you are issuing a single row query which will always
>return 1.

>Helge you don't say why do you need the rownum, it's not a very
>meaningful value. Can't you use the record number in the block?

>Clive Bostock

>All opions expressed are those of my
>own and not my employer.

Hi Clive,

I think coding all SQL statements explicitly belonging to the block is too much work.

I also tried using :SYSTEM.CURSOR_RECORD but couldn't synchronize this correct.
E.g. when I enter the (multi record) block, I'm in the first record and the POST-QUERY trigger fills the record number (a non base table field) for ALL records with 1.
When I'm scrolling through the records with UP or DOWN the record number is O.K., but when I use NEXT-SET or the scroll bar it isn't.

Any suggestions ?

Helge Petersen                          Datenbank- und Systemadministrator
Draeger Synematic GmbH                  D-23558 Luebeck, Germany
Tel. 0451/882-4044   Fax -3031          Email petersen_at_dwhl.de