Re: Q: Can you rollback a trigger?

From: Graham Lloyd <gklloyd_at_cix.compulink.co.uk>
Date: 1996/02/13

> Earlier I wrote,
>
> >> In one of my systems, an insert into table 1 fires a trigger that
 causes
> >> an insert into table 2, which fires a trigger that inserts into table
 3,
> >> etc.
> >> Since I don't issue savepoints at any point in the transaction (not
 even
> >> sure if it's legal in a trigger), a rollback will roll back all of
 the
> >> inserts, every time.
>
> gklloyd_at_cix.compulink.co.uk ("Graham Lloyd") responded -
>
> >Unless you are updating distributed databases without 2-phase commit,
> >that is.
>
> UDDW2PC = update distributed databases without 2-phase commit
>
> If I were to UDDW2PC, how would I manage transactions? Do I have to
> fire
> remote procedures to issue remote savepoints and rollbacks? If not,
> how?
>

> Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Paul

If transaction volumes are not excessive, asynchronous replication is probably the simplest, reliable method of updating a remote database without using 2-phase commit. However, the choice of which method you shoul use is highly dependent on the requirements of the application and the constraints within which you need to work.

Graham Received on Tue Feb 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message