Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Jon Bell <jtbell_at_presby.edu>
Date: 1996/02/13

  <cpearson_at_enuxsa.eas.asu.edu> wrote:
>Software engineering and GOOD code writing is more than just sitting in
>front of your keyboard and banging out a program. As most of you know,
>writing the damn thing is just the first step.

As I'm sure you're aware, it's not even the first step... the problem analysis comes first.

>And then there are the so called "liberal arts" classes. Good communication
>skill and the ability to work in problem solving teams are just as important
>as your programming skill.

They also give you "domain knowledge" which many companies pay big bucks for. There's a reason why analysts often make more money than "mere" programmers.

In my mind, the ideal combination is a BS in CS with a strong minor in some other area, or a major in some area with a strong minor in CS.

--
Jon Bell <jtbell_at_presby.edu>            |  "The Internet grows hyper-
Dept. of Physics and Computer Science   |  bolically, but is usually