Maximum open cursors exceeded

From: <102570.3725_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 1996/02/12

 chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) writes:
>jukka.manner_at_comptel.fi (Jukka Manner) wrote:
>
>>In article <4f7s2t$1v8_at_cloner2.ix.netcom.com>, chuckh_at_ix.netcom.come says...
>>>
>>>I receive this error from time to time and am not sure what's causing
>>>it. I tried increasing the default setting from 50 to 100 for the open
>>>cursors parameter but it still happens, though less frequently.
>>>
>>>ORA-00604: error occurred at recursive SQL level 1
>>>ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded
>>>

>>I'm currently investigating this too! I have a form that calls another
>>form where certain database actions are done. This works fine, but if
>>I delete a row in my calling application before go to the other form
>>I will certainly run in to this.
>
>All I'm trying to do is create a lousy index! How many cursors can
>that possibly require? I've set the OPEN_CURSORS parameter 100 and
>that still doesn't always work. What works is bouncing the database.
>
>Something somewhere (in the RDBMS itself) is not closing cursors that
>are done with. But we don't use them in our applications at all! It's
>a data warehouse that's only accessed with a GUI query tool.
>--
>Chuck Hamilton
>chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com
>
>Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself!

A host language program may be opening to many cursors, modify the program to use fewer cursors. Or, if auditing is enabled try setting the value of SESSIONS to 2.1*PROCESSES. Also, check the value of DDL_LOCKS, there needs to be one parse lock for each table referenced in all open cursors.

Margie Nissen
102570.37525_at_compuserve.com Received on Mon Feb 12 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message