Re: High speed backup devices

From: MPower 'your future today' -- Mark Otero <mpower_at_ee.net>
Date: 1996/02/11

bfntd_at_aimnet.com (Tony Damon) wrote:

>Bob Obenour CDS (pp001868_at_interramp.com) wrote:
>: Our Oracle database is currently 128 Gig in size and growing. Our company does
>: Third Party Billing and Recovery for State and commercial Medical Insurance. At present we
>: are doing hot backups. The daily backup procedure places tablespaces in backup mode and
>: then copies the data files to a scratch disk where they are later backed up to tape. This holding
>: area is 10 gig in size. It takes operations a whole 8 hour shift to back these files to 8mm DAT.
>: At present it takes 12 day cycle to backup all the datafiles.
>:
>: We have tried using our magneto-optical juke, but it still is slow in writting and takes a whole day to
>: re-format for the next time thru.
>:
>: Any suggestions besides praying?
>:
>: The device must be able use media that can be removed for off site storage.
>:

>How about buying a bunch of 8mm drives and backup software capable
>of parallel operation. Check out www.legato.com for Networker software,
>and www.datatools.com for Sql Back Track for Oracle backup software
>that will interface with Networker.

>Tony

Here are clean solutions for your current and future needs. As a systems integration consultant I have used several storage technologies for archiving Oracle databases and images.

Column	1 cost per MB
	2 capacity uncompressed
	3 capacity compressed
	4 platforms  A- Sun   B- UNIX   C- NT
	5 transfer rate
	6 interface  A- scsi  B- scsi2  C- fast scsi

		$16k-25k+
Row	1 4mm DAT  -- Custom solution

		$5k-200k
Row	2 DLT (Digital Linear Tape) -- low cost range
	3 DLT (Digital Linear Tape) -- mid cost range
	4 DLT (Digital Linear Tape) -- high cost range

	1              2                     3                4              5
6
1  	$.02    2GB-8GB    4GB-1.6TB    A,B,C    18 MBps    A,B,C
	Cranel 614-431-8000 * This vendor provides Systems Integration *

2	$.25    140GB         280GB           A,B,C       3 MBps
B,C
3	$.25    1.4TB          2.8TB             A,B,C      12 MBps
B,C
4	$.25    1.7TB          3.5TB             A,B,C      27 MBps
B,C
	Box Hill 212-989-4455

	New Technology
	12mm (SVHS video tape)
	$42k for 1st 100GB; $10k for each additional 100GB
	2 MBps transfer rate
	100GB-1.5TB capacity
	Legacy Storage International 905-475-2077

Now get some sleep and call me in the morning :^)

Mark Received on Sun Feb 11 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message