Re: S-Designor CASE Tool

From: Rick Greenwald <greenie_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 1996/02/10

Ed -

I worked, for a brief time, as Director of Product Marketing for the U.S. division of SDP, who make S-Designor.

In brief, I believe that S-Designor has one main advantage over ERWin - it's support of a true conceptual model. The conceptual model allows you to design a proper database (normalized, many-to-many relationships, etc.) at the conceptual level and then make adjustments at the physical level, maintaining co-ordination between the two but still keeping them logically distinct.

ERWin's main advantages are it's support of a particular methodology (whose name escapes me now) and the fact that it has a much larger installed base in the U.S.

The 'o' in S-Designor originally stood for Oracle, so I don't think you have to worry about the fact that it was acquired by PowerSoft.

Good luck.

  • Rick Greenwald