Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: MPower 'your future today' -- Mark Otero <mpower_at_ee.net>
Date: 1996/02/10

johnyc_at_mainelink.net wrote:

>In article <4fe3ov$pc0_at_qualcomm.com>, nabbasi_at_qualcomm.com wrote:
>>
>>There is no execuse for someone not to have one nowadays. You can go to
>>night school and get one. you can get a student loan, you can work part time
>>and go to school part time, etc...

>This is the kind of claptrap that really irratates me. I have found through
>my 20 years of experience that the *best* computer people are those who have
>not had to go to college to learn something. They were able to pick up a
>book, on their own, sit down with only their own personal motivation and learn
>something.

>I have not hired some college grads because they did not have any motivation
>to learn other than 'I was interested in it and it looked like a good field'.
> In fact, today I showed a SAS programmer (who had a masters in engineering)
>what was wrong with his code, even though it was the first SAS program I had
>ever seen, and I did not have access to the manual.

>I bought my first computer at 17 (a TRS-80). I attended one semester at Miami
>University of Ohio (where I was going major in Mathmatics) and dropped out
>because of all the idiots going to school there. My roommate was a chemistry
>major who could barely do basic algebra and partied every weekend. But his
>father was rich so he could afford it.

>I take college courses to learn the things I am interested in, not the things
>that are required in order to keep college professors employed.

>>Yes, if you were looking for a GOOD job, not having a degree will hinder you.
>>
>Consider this, if a company will only hire college grads, and refuses to look
>at anyone else, ask the following questions:
>1. Do you want to work for such a shallow company??
>2. Do you want to work for a company where company policy is king, and not
>creative thinking and decision making??
>3. Do you want to work for a company that micro-manages its managers to the
>point of telling them who they can and cannot hire based on some false
>assumption (ie: There is no one without a college education that can be a
>highly productive employee with excellent job-related skills.)

>A real manager has a list of questions to ask prospective employees to verify
>that the person being interviewed has the necessary skills to do the job. A
>real manager can look at a resume and weed out those who do not have the
>skills, and those that should be interviewed.

>To paraphrase Mark Twain --
> I wouldn't want to work for any company that would not have me for an
>employee.

>>Education can very rewarding.
>>
>At least there was something in this post I can agree with.

>But consider this, how smart is someone who just spent 4 to 6 years of their
>life and their own money studing something when they have probably could have
>gotten a two year degree technical degree for a lot less money, gone to work
>for a company, and then had the company pay for their degree?? Or could have
> [...]

Success in any endeavor depends upon:

-- ones ability to suck up the facts
-- chew them up
-- swallow their knowledge
-- digest their relevancy in time
-- and finally dump the excrement.

This is not a four year process but a life long struggle. Unfortunately four universities are not in the business of creating thinkers and doers, but rather churning out the corporate army ants mandated by Corporate America.

As to what curriculum is in vogue is solely determined by the corporate endowments. Eighteen years ago we needed EEs, ten years ago we needed CPAs, today we need PAs, tomorrow it will be GMs.

Since the beginning of time only one breed remains in constant demand, -- creators.
For it is they who manifest the world as we know it and keeps the masses calm.

                       !!!!!
                      /'_at_ @'\

|   BigDaddy's Internet USENET FaxBack Service    |
|         'never leave home without it'           |
| Mark Otero                        mpower_at_ee.net |
| MPower                        Your Future Today |
| 178 Beechbank Road               (614) 338-1550 |
| Columbus, Ohio 43213-1261    Fax (614) 338-1553 |
                     | |  | |