Re: ANNOUNCE: Vacant Job Positions

From: Larry W. Virden <lwv26_at_cas.org>
Date: 1996/02/10

> >Agreed. I'm a 16-year old junior in high school (employed by an ISV for
> >2.5 years) and it bugs me that people assume that one must have a
> >college degree to be a good job candidate. I'd hope that if I were
> >looking for a job this would not hinder me. Let the prospective
> >employee's ability speak for itself.
>
> And why would you not want to have a college degree is the question
> I would ask. If you real an able person, then you would be able to get

And where did this poster sayd that s/he did not want to have a degree.

> a college degree in the field you enjoy working in.
>
> There is no execuse for someone not to have one nowadays. You can go to
> night school and get one. you can get a student loan, you can work part time
> and go to school part time, etc...

Sorry, but what to you seems no excuse, can be quite a lot of legitimate reasons for someone else. For instance, perhaps the person is supporting a family with a job, night school is only available in particular areas, loans only go to certain classes of folk, and not everyone has the option to work part time.

Frankly, some of the brightest folk I have known in the past few years had no degree. Granted, they had taken some classes at local colleges or universities. But in most cases, the classes required did little to 'increase' their job abilities, nor even their intelligence. And in some cases, the folk knew more about the subject before they ever walked into the rooms.

--
:s Larry W. Virden                 INET: lvirden_at_cas.org
:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*>