Re: Q: Is there a way to change MAXDATAFILES after Instance createion ?

From: <mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com>
Date: 1996/02/09

In <4ff2nr$53v_at_ubnsrv.unisource.ch>, mpammer_at_vlr.gv.at (Martin Pammer) writes:
>Hi there
>
>We are using Oracle 7.2.2.4 on AIX 4.1.3.
>
>I have several databases which were all created with the default
>MAXDATAFILES of 20.
>
>After creating new tablespaces I am now coming close to the limit
>of 20 datafiles.
>
>My question is:
>
>Can I change the MAXDATAFILE after instance creation without
>recreation of the whole database ?
>
>Thank You very much in advance
>
>Martin Pammer
>mpammer_at_vlr.gv.at (VRZ Informatik in Dornbirn, Austria)

Yes, you have to recreate your control files. To do this:

  1. Shutdown your database normal and do a full backup
  2. Startup
  3. Alter database backup controlfile to trace; (this will give you an ascii version of the control file script within a trace file).
  4. Edit the trace file and change MaxDataFiles to something greater than the default, save the control file text as an .sql file.
  5. Shutdown
  6. rename existing control files to .old
  7. Startup nomount
  8. Run the edited trace file .sql script to recreate the control files you just dropped (still connected as internal).
  9. Open the database

This is partially covered in Chapter 6 "Managing Control Files" in the Administrators guide.

M.Landa Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message