Re: ODBC: Information Required - Please help!!

From: RAC <mudhens_at_cyberramp.net>
Date: 1996/02/09

Michael Maloney <maloneym_at_interactive.net> wrote:

>Steve Chell wrote:
>>
>> I've been given the task of setting up ODBC on our system
>> to enable MS Access applications to talk to an Oracle 7 database
>> on our Unix box.
>>
>> I'm fairly new to Oracle (and MS Access for that matter).
>> Where do I start? Where should I go to get the required documentation?
>>

>I also have the same dilemma - I have been tasked to set up
>clients (with SQL*NET v.2 and TCP/IP) to access Oracle tables
>through various programs: Access, Excel, VB Custom Apps - all
>via ODBC. I know next to nothing about the Oracle back end and
>my Oracle DB Admins don't know squat either! Any hints on how
>the ODBC SQL*NET connect string should look would really help me
>out. What 'UID' and 'PWD' is it looking for? (I've read all the
>readmes, etc.) My understanding is that there is an Oracle
>Username and Pwd, then a database name and Pwd. Is this correct,
>or am I WAY out in left field. An explination of TNSNAMES.ORA
>(or pointers to more info) would also be appreciated. If you
>e-mail me, I'll post a summary.

>Regards, and Thanks.
>Michael Maloney

The key to accessing Oracle tables is knowing the correct connect string (assuming you already have a user id and password). After you install the Oracle7 ODBC driver, you can go into Windows Control Panel and set up a new data source (give it any meaningful name) and use the correct connect string. In Access, press the attach table button (or from menu), choose SQL database from the available choices. Next choose the data source name that you set up earlier and then it should prompt you for the user name and password. At that point, you should see all Oracle tables in a list so you can attach. If you need more info, let me know. Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message