Re: executing shell scripts from PL/SQL

From: Kjartan R Gudmundsson <kjartang_at_ejs.is>
Date: 1996/02/09

bmanry_at_ibmgate-aix.us.oracle.com (Bill Manry - Oracle Corp.) wrote:

>Gee Wong (gwong_at_microfone.net) wrote:
>>I can not find any documentation on the host command. Which package
>>is this procedure in?

>Mr. Alari probably was referring to the 'host' function in
>SQL*Forms et al. Currently there is no direct means of
>invoking a user program or script from within the RDBMS.
>An indirect method using dbms_pipes exists...but it requires
>writing code to run at the other end of the pipe.

Few weeks ago in comp.databases.oracle, HOBSONA_at_prc4wc.igw.bt.co.uk (Andy Hobson) wrote:
..., several people
mentioned DBMS_PIPE and others asked me to pass on a solution if I came across it. This is a technical paper from Oracle Worldwide support which describes the process & includes source code for client and server side. I have not had time to test it yet so don't blame me if there are any bugs ! I have been assured by Oracle that this paper is freely distributable.

Article-ID: <Note:14082.1> Revision: 0 PUBLIC

Circulation:        ** Available to Customers on OCIS **
Creator:            OLSBB
Folder:             product.cde.plsql
Topic:              ** Using RDBMS distributed packages **
Subject:            DYNAMIC SQL AND SYSTEM COMMANDS USING DBMS_PIPE
Modified:           03 Oct 95 11:50:19
Attachments:        NONE

You can also get this from the Oracle Support Notes CD.

This code implements a DMBS_PIPE between a oracle session and a C program running as a server. The C prorgram executes thethe command using a call to system. It returns information about success or failure of the command. No output from the command.

regards
krg.
kjartang_at_ejs.is Received on Fri Feb 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message